The beautiful Monastery Tower of Ipsilotera is located outside the village Galini, about 7 km northeast of Chora. This fortified tower remains nowadays the strongest fortress on Naxos, as it seems to protect the island with its high location and strong walls.
This monastery tower was constructed in 1660 by Iakovos Kokkos, a nobleman of Christian Orthodox religion who was fighting against the dominance of the Frankish in the Cyclades. The monastery of Ipsilotera is actually located inside the walls of Angelopoulos Tower, one of the most powerful towers of its time. This tower was used as the base of operations or a hideaway for soldiers and citizens.
In the center of the yard, there is the Byzantine church of Panagia Ipsilotera. The building has a round shape that looks like Glezos Tower in Chora with embrasures, bastions and large openings on the walls to put the canons and other weaponry.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.